It’s 2016! Happy New Year! My, did 2015 fly by or what? As I reflected on this past year I couldn’t help but smile. We built a new house and moved in at the beginning of this year, traveled to some pretty awesome places, and welcomed the best dog ever into our little family, I can only imagine what 2016 is going to be like! Even though 2015 was amazing, at the beginning of every new year, I love going into it fresh and recharged. Below I’ve listed a few things that I like to do every new year or some things I really want to work on. This is a bit of a longer read, but I wanted to give you all a little inspiration going into the new year and I promise it’s worth it!
I love exercising. I like how I feel physically and mentally during and after a good workout. Being an athlete my entire life I’ve always loved the gym, lifting weights, or going on a run. However, the older I have gotten, I have really been enjoying group type classes. (I think it has something to do with always being on a team- I like the sense of “togetherness” while working out) It keeps your workouts fun and I find myself pushing farther than I would if I was working out alone. Some classes I’ve been loving lately are:
1.YOGA– I’ve been practicing yoga for about two years now and it is hands down my favorite. For those of you wanting to try it, but are nervous to- don’t be! It is the most non-judgmental setting I have ever found myself in! Yoga also uses muscles you weren’t aware existed and allows you to clear your head mentally!
2. ZUMBA– Ok, not going to lie I was really nervous about trying this one. I was afraid I was going to look so dumb attempting to dance, but the nice thing was- everyone felt like that. Every time I go I always have so much fun and I don’t even realize that I am working out!
4. BARRE= I’ve been wanting to try a barre class, but unfortunately there isn’t a place close enough to me that I can get to on time! Maybe over the summer I’ll finally be able to give it a shot. Has anyone else taken barre? How do you like it?
5. SPINNING. went twice. it hurt. almost fell off the bike (shocker) not for me.
6. PIYO. A combination between yoga and pilates. It was full of cardio and I definitely feel like I got a good workout, but every class is typically the same. Some might like that though, so give it a try!
This is one that I always try to get back on track every new year. Towards the end of each year, I find myself running around like a chicken with it’s head cut off and in 2016 I really want to work on balancing my life. We all need to learn to say no when we need to and yes when we should. I just got THIS planner for Christmas and I LOVE it. It has everything broken up into “morning, day, and night” and I cannot wait to fill it up and organize to balance my family time, social time, work, blogging, adventuring, relaxing and so on.
#3 HEALTHFUL EATING
No.More.Pizza. Kidding obvi. But in reality, healthy eating does not have to be restrictive eating. It means balancing your diet. If you know you’re going out to a big dinner with girlfriends that night, maybe pack a salad or something lighter for lunch. Maybe just try packing your lunch in general- it’ll be better for your body and your wallet! My 3 key tips I swear by are
#1. DRINK WATER. lots of it. I drink about a gallon a day and I can feel that my body is off when I don’t drink enough.
#2. Protein. I’ve realized (at least for me personally) a high protein diet keeps me fuller longer and quicker. I tend to cook a lot of chicken or ground turkey, however you don’t have to get your protein from meat. Broccoli itself has almost 3 grams! ( I like to bring this for lunch!)
3. Keeping sugar to a minimum. Ideally, I’d like to cut it out all together (but let’s be real…) I have THE biggest sweet tooth so this is a major struggle, but when I do cut sugar or keep it to a minimum I feel amazing. That being said, I suggest reading labels. Something that is labeled “healthy” or advertised for dieting (i.e. juices, granola, smoothies, etc) may actually have A TON of sugar and setting you back when you think you’re making progress! Try substituting a little bit of fresh fruit or dark chocolate every time you get a craving!
#4 MAKE TIME FOR YOURSELF
Last, but not least, make a little time for yourself. We (and our brains) are constantly going and going all day everyday and sometimes we get so caught up in everyday life we forget about ourselves! Make that time to maybe be more consistent in your daily devotional, make time to exercise, make time to pour yourself that glass of wine and catch up on Real Housewives of Beverly Hills (anyone else with me? haha) Sometimes we just need to stop and self reflect because I promise, if you are happy, people will notice and you will make a difference in their day. Now go get ready to kick 2016’s butt!!
So grateful to each and everyone of you for stopping by everyday, cannot wait to see what this new year has in store!
XOXO | Aubrey